December 30, 2018

ONCE UPON A YEAR ~

Reflections ~ in pictures, as Zoolatry is always more about images than words ~ a look back through the year about to end.  Forgive me while I reflect through many years that have ended, it is something I always seem to do.  Retired now, many years and sadly a widow.  Much lost, gone ~ much gained, easy to see now, though not at the time of happening.  And it was such a long time ago I also said good-bye to my heart cat Maggy, and silly little Zoey (Poppy Vic's Number One). It seems only yesterday they all left, each to their own place ~ apart from me ~ yet they thrive in their new homes, and are often thought of, and appear, here ~ their first home.  
Apart from me.  Is it only in the movies that you hear an actor say, "I cannot see him anymore," the face of the love lost, now fading into memory.  I am blessed, as Poppy Vic and my kitty girls have never faded from my sight.  All sit on my shoulder, each walks beside me, with every coming day. 
And this place is my journal, my diary ... where I can visit, refreshing memories as my own mind muddies with age.  This has become a place of friendship, warm words, caring thoughts, a simple "hello", left by those I have not met, will never meet but who have become an important part of my life ... every  day.   
To 2018 I say not just goodbye, but good riddance, glad you're gone, don't need you, don't want you around.  I am a political animal, and living where I do, local news is national news is international news, and it is my addiction.  Hooked on it.  News was dinner table talk in rural Indiana, growing up in the 1950s.  I blame my parents for my addiction ... my daily papers of choice, the Washington Post and the New York Times.  Read the old fashioned way, on paper, coffee cup to the side.  No online news here, tech is leaving me behind.  I am tired of the real world of 2018.
Will 2019 be different, can it be?  In my alternate world of Zoolatry, it will be a wonderful, amazing and fullsome year.  I'd rather live here in the Zoolatry world.   Someone once reminded me, January ... Janus, the Roman god of beginnings and endings, and the god of gateways and doors.  So we begin, anew.  Hoping much, praying more.  Opening a door each day, the door perhaps to Fibber McGee's closet not knowing what will fall out from an avalanche of stuff: good, bad, happy, sad, and in-between stuff.  Come along for the ride. 













27 comments:

  1. A year that brought such nice new friends and memories and then snatched friends and friendships right from under me. Heartbreak and stress are bedfellows that do nothing for ones soul or life save that they make us cherish the good and the friendships, no matter how small or fleeting, close to our hearts so they may blossom once more, if not in life then in memory.
    Purrs
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wonderful art shows some wonderful moments and we were so happy to meet up with you in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos!!! Looking forward to seeing you when you get down here!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  4. how wonderful! A year in pics. I got a tear looking at the memorial to Victor A. and reading Joe Biden's quote. I loved that quote. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  5. May 2019 be filled with health and happiness. Happy New Year ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos and memories. Love ensures that time cannot diminish them. My mum died when I was 30 (the evil C) but I still can hear her voice in my mind exactly as it was then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures Ann, and a great post. Thanks for including the donkeys and me too. Good memories. You have a great New Year Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Memories are wonderful and sometimes very bittersweet. I too reflect on this past year and miss all the loved ones (two legged and four legged) that have left us. It's the way of things.

    Have a blessed day and a very happy and healthy New Year. Scritches to the babies. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I remember! I'll tag along in 2019 . . . it's gonna be great (or not, but it's all we've got). Love you and your wonderful alternate world! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. I wish you and your family a happy and healthy new year! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meow meow Miss Ann mee wanted to say Thanx fore yore lovele graffickss you have dun for angel Unkell Siddhartha Henry an fore so many inn this wunderfull blogwerld mee iss now a part of!!! An mee iss sorry you are wid-dowed too...LadyMew has bin thru this twice an shee missess her huzbandss a lot.
    Yore photoess are so lovelee...who iss THE Samoyed poochie??? Beeuteefull….
    Wishin you a Happy Mew Yeer an many blessinss….
    ***purrsss*** BellaDharma an ((hugs)) LadyMew

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do agree with the comment above. Memories can be good but some are not so good and rather be forgotten. But the good ones always get us through the bad ones and far outnumber them as well. This time of the year always seems to be bittersweet for me. I always find myself wishing I could just go back in time and re-live some of the good old days. I guess that is a sign of aging too...

    Thank you for a beautiful post today. I'm sure I will reflect back to it in the coming days of the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great photos...and memories. We wish you much happiness in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and bittersweet all at the same time. We wish you, our dear friend, a happy and peaceful year in 2019. We love you, Ann.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love the Zoolatry world, too, and will gladly be here again in 2019. Blessed New Year to you, dear friend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a touching post and echoes the thoughts of many, I'm sure.

    We wish you a happier and peaceful New Year.

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful photos and memories. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mom and I enjoyed reading this post very much and seeing your pics. Happy Mew Year! May 2019 be a better year for all of us and may all us pet bloggers continue to provide happiness, support and comfort amongst each other. Purr purr purr.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are so glad we know you. We have lost some wonderful friends and special cats this year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year Ann! I loved reading your post and share your choice of newspapers. I confess a passion for the political news and wish for sunnier news next year. I've read everything there is in print I can find on what's going on now I love your header and I the silver shoes cartoon. Thank you for being YOU! Hugs, Carol, Peaches & paprika

    ReplyDelete
  21. So Lovely Ann!
    Thank You for sharing these memories with us!
    The end of every year marks a new year. We wish your next year to be filled with wonderful promises. Wishing you all the best for the upcoming year!
    Purrs
    Marv & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  22. We hope you have a wonderful New Year - full with love, peace, and happiness.

    ReplyDelete