February 10, 2022

THANKFUL and THOROUGHLY POETIC THURSDAY (Mary Jane & Elaine)

I can't remember "why" but it's been forever since we joined Sam's Poetry Corner, but taking a peek at last week's photo encouraged us to "get back to it"!  Two "ladies" of a certain time who reminded us of our many great aunties, and I imagined the conversation that may have happened as they waited for the photographer to take their portrait. It is also Thankful Thursday, and I am thankful not to have to dress as they did ... 


MARY JANE and ELAINE

"Took half a day to dress this way," groaned Mary Jane.
"And still your bustle's all askew," retorted sister dear Elaine.
Mary Jane moaned, "my waist is not this small,
the corset laces are so tight, surely I will faint and fall!"
Elaine agreed, "well, this horrid hat weighs heavy on me
and my head does ache miserably."

Yet, the sisters did agree, their husbands were tickled pink.
Indeed, both said, "of what we might want, they would never think!"
"They do love how we look.  How we dress and comport.
We must not anger them at all, or we see looming divorce court."

Mary Jane, "if you could live in another time, 
what time would you choose that to be?"

With great assurance Elaine replied,
"in 2022, when women will be far more free!"















20 comments:

  1. Oh Ann this is a brilliant poem for this photo! Love those last lines and indeed I'm SURE they would rather be HERE in the NOW than back in the 1800s for many reasons. This photo intrigued me when I found it - I couldn't resist having Angel Sammy use it for his poetry challenge. Nice to have you back in the poetry "department" here on our blog!! Thanks for having fun with us.

    Hugs, Pam and Teddy too (and I'm sure Angel Sammy approves from afar!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom says she would love to have lived in the 50's, but she missed that decade and joined the world in the next. Before that she would not want to have been around as life was too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is absolutely great!!! I bet that was exactly the conversation they had... BRAVOOOOOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true that in the olden days as portrayed here, for women to get into their gowns would take at least one helper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a terrific poem and a really good thankful too MOL! Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 💞💞I love it! I love it! I love it! this is exactly what I thought and felt when I saw the photo. standing ovation on your poem and wild clapping because I feel that way toooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann WELL DONE WOW you captured the 100% facts about those ladies. Clapping and standing ovation
    Hugs Cecilia
    PS looking forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How creative and unexpected! Well done milady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that poem! What a world we women used to live in, glad I'm in the 21st century!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great poem and 2022 is so much easier for the women now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great poem for that picture. We're watching "The Gilded Age" on HBO right now and it looks to be about the same time period as this picture. It looks so pretty and grand but I feel sorry for the actresses that have to wear those clothes. I'm sure they are being paid well for their discomfort though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely poem. I am very glad I didn't live in those times! I have seen this photo several times today but only just noticed that the lady on the right has very big hands!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of a certain time, like the evening?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mum totally agrees with this poem!!!!!
    MOL at Kismet's comment ;)
    MOL,MOL !!
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great poem. I would not have wanted to live back then. XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL on the poem! We too are glad it's 2022 instead of 1882!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A corset would have killed me. Although i imagine whatever you grow up with is what you think is normal.

    ReplyDelete