March 23, 2008

THREE KISSES

A significant holiday on the Russian Orthodox church calendar is Easter. The Easter holiday is celebrated with the exchange of eggs, and three kisses. In 1884, Czar Alexander III commissioned Peter Carl Faberge to create a special egg for his wife, Czarina Maria. The egg was to hold a secret surprise. As this egg gave so much pleasure to Maria, they were commissioned by the royal families for many years to come. Of historical note: these renowned and treasured eggs were not created by Faberge himself, but rather by the master goldsmiths and jewelers in his House of Faberge.
Easter, 1981 -- a golden egg and three kisses for my golden child. Now a grown and married woman, she is still so very precious to me, and is a best friend. This picture was one of the first photoshop pieces we did, and it was originally posted on another blog.

16 comments:

  1. This is a lovely picture of the golden-haired girl with the golden egg. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter! I need to go collect my three kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a very lovely story! I guess we need to go see where our Faberge Egg and Three Kisses are hiding. We hope you have a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why this would be a precious photo and a precious memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely golden photo of golden memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful custom!!!!!
    How lovely,yoo to give a golden egg to your golden girl with 3 kisses :)
    HAPPY EASTER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful picture!!!!!

    HOPPY EASTER FROM OUR HOME TO YOURS!!!!

    PURRS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggy & Zoey, me and mine wish you and yours an eggxtra special Happy Easter!

    Hugs & Purrs,
    Rocky
    & everybody at Artsy Catsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Easter. I approve of this photo, it is rather startling! Although it would be improved by the addition of a feline. Nevertheless, a good effort. 10/10.

    hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just 3 kisses?
    I think there should be many, many kisses!

    Hoppy, hoppy Easter to all at Zoolatry :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am here for my food. Your comment has left me ravenously hungry! I was mortified to see the human's eyes growing wide at the thought of such delicious food. I am so jealous that you cats clearly have an excellent chef in your midst!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how beeyootiful! Happy Eastur to all of you and yur wunnerful fambly.

    Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao and the Ballicai!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is a very nice picshur!!!
    but we thinks the russian orthodox easters is sometime in late aprils.
    our grandparentses used to live in russias and they told Figaro tonite at dinners all about this.
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy happy Easter my friends!

    ReplyDelete